Have you ever wondered what kind of character pleases God the most, I Have.. Is it the most energetic person, the most intelligent person, the most talkative person, the orator, the artist. Well, I have great joy to tell you that it is none of these, because I am none of the above. God delights in the Humble person a lot more than he does in the proud talented person. I am not saying that he hates talent, I am saying that he hates the proud and loves the Humble. If we would stop running after things that try to project us as something that we are not and focus on being humble in His sight, He would raise us up in due time. Every one of us in this world wants to be significant, everyone wants power but as Christians its high time we decide to follow Christ's humble way of self denial. I have not heard a single sermon about Humility and how to practice it, but I have heard scores of messages about seed faith. Are we ignoring those so called "little things" for the "big things". Humility is not a little thing, It is a big thing in the eyes of God. It is the escalator to success for many people. For it is God's promise that He will raise up the Humble that wait on Him.
Time to dig deeper into the issue of Humility. First of all, I would like to say that we can act Humble in many occasions and not be really humble at heart. There are many people I know who are very humble and decent when they are in public but stupid and tyrannic when they are behind closed doors. Note that this is not the humility we are dealing with here. The true Humility that moves God has many characteristics out of which these are the main ones:
- Humility is fearing God
- Humility is agreeing to be led by God
- A Humble person recognizes and acknowledges his/her weaknesses
- Humble people consider others better than themselves
- Humble people are obedient people (ready to do whatever is good)
Are you obedient, do you fear God ( Fear does not mean fear as in fearing a dictator, it means awe and respect) Do you recognize and acknowledge your weaknesses, do you consider others better (This is not inferiority complex, it is respecting others and it is God's way of checking pride from growing), Are you obedient to your elders and all those who tell you to do things that are good. If your answer for at least one of these questions is "No", it is time to act. It is time to humble yourselves in the eyes of God. Let me remind you of the benefits of being humble before I end this post. Read carefully the following scriptures:
- Matt 23:12 - "Whoever humbles himself will be exalted"
- Pro 11:2 - "When pride comes, then comes disgrace but with humility comes wisdom"
- Pro 15:33 - " The fear of the Lord teaches a man wisdom and humility"
- Pro 3:34 - "He mocks proud mockers, but gives grace to the Humble.
- Isa 66:2 - "This is the one I esteem: He who is humble and contrite in spirit"